Monday, July 7, 2008

Transaction Transaction, what's your action?

I noticed something this morning as I was going over my SP that I wrote on Thursday night. I realized that I needed to also gonkulate how many transactions had failed. Seems simple enough, right? If a page (or dependent request) fails inside a transaction the whole transaction gets marked as a failure, right? That's the way that LoadRunner handles the transaction issue.

In LoadRunner I would normally leave the determination of the status of the transaction by using LR_AUTO. There were a few times that I would explicitly call EndTransaction with a LR_FAIL.

I realized looking over the schema of the Load Test Repository Store that there does not appear to be any logging of failures on the transaction level. The page level? Sure. Not a problem. LoadTestMessage table contains those goodies for us but I cannot find a way to link LoadTestMessage with WebLoadTestRequestMap. Going back over some of the online documentation for running VS2008 load tests it appears that the tool itself does not count transaction failures and only counts failed pages.

Yeah... I'm not too happy about that. With my analysis I want to see what transactions failed as I might have multiple page hits to a single transaction. Hopefully this gets fixed in a future version of the MS LT tool.

No comments: