Sunday, July 27, 2008

Thinkin' about ditching Hyper-V

Seriously thinking about ditching Hyper-V for it's smaller brother, Virtual PC 2007. Sure, Virtual PC doesn't give the VM as much horsepower or as much contact with the metal of the host machine but by golly gosh the networking doesn't try to kill off Client for Microsoft Network.

I'm sure Hyper-V works great in the intended role of hosting guest VMs while racked in a server room someplace but the network issue that I am having is really irking me. Perhaps Hyper-V isn't ready for the type of prototyping work I want to do and Virtual PC 2007 will gimp along for my prototyping work.

Of course, the only issue that I have so far is that I have four VMs created and I'd have to go through all that trouble of reloading the OS. Well, I'm just about done with my load balancing prototyping so blowing away the VMs and removing the Hyper-V role wouldn't be that painful...

Of course, the biggest thing that I'd miss is the snapshot feature of Hyper-V. For prototyping and messin' around with a VM that is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I don't suspect we'll see that in a free Virtual PC anytime soon...

No comments: