Saturday, July 19, 2008

Portable Server Drive Performance

I was wondering what the performance of the RAID5 setup in my new portable server and I found this nifty little HD benchmark tool at http://www.datamarck.com/.

I ran it and it showed that the average throughput of my RAID5 array was about 77 MB/s. In contrast, my older desktop machine ran about 46 MB/s and my older laptop was a measly 36 MB/s. Not too shabby.

I haven't done any video or CPU benchmarking yet but I wonder how the video performs with Win2k8 server and the nVidia 8800M single card.

I'm currently installing two instances of Win2k3 standard under Hyper-V to play around with xfering IIS metabase and some other automated tasks and the beauty of this is that I can take snapshots and restore those snapshots while playing around.

But I did find a bummer about Hyper-V. You can bind it to a NIC as long as it is not a wireless NIC. I found that rather strange that there would be a differentiation of interfaces as both are ethernet devices. Go figure.

Another thing I noticed is that the network card is reported by Win2k8 as a 10 GB/s card which I find hard to believe. It's prolly just a reporting err. No biggie as I don't have 10 GB infrastructure in the house.

All in all, pretty nifty for a portable device.

No comments: