Friday, May 23, 2008

Why have one Zombie when 10,000 will do?

Ok. I couldn't resist myself. Sure, the ftpLoadAgent was doing a decent job against the prototype server when it was single threaded but ADD got the best of me and I ended up multi-threading it with a thread pool that the user can specify on the command line. Now I can really stress the heck out of the FTP server.

Did I really need to? Nope. It was just the cool thing to do. What fun is load testing if you can't crush the server into pulp? None I say! I won't always crush the server into a pulp but if I need to for stress testing purposes, by golly gosh I can!

I got my protoype server running in Virtual PC 2007 up and running for the most part. Properly setting up WCF with an exported personal certificate was a pain in the butt. It was also my first exposure to nant. I can see where nant can be real handy in a server preparation scenario. I need to learn more about the proper usage of nant.

I did some more playing around with VS2008 TE last night and have pretty much wrapped my noggin' around the basics of the WebTestRequest and related event handlers and I have to say that it is pretty nifty. My initial thoughts is that VS2008 will have a steeper learning curve but be better for those testers that have a development background and that want to leverage the .NET Framework.

No comments: